Staveley MWFC put on a terrific display of attacking football overwhelming their opponents Nostell MWFC by 4-0 with a score line that could have been much higher had it not been for Nostell’s man of the match, goalkeeper Gavin Ansley pulling off a string of excellent stops. The first chance fell on 2 minutes, Andrew Fox linking up with Simon Barraclough and Kyle Hawthorne slipping a shot just past the far post. An astonishing let off came for Nostell minutes later. A slick one two between Chris Fawcus and Kyle Hawthorne gave the Staveley full back the opportunity to play it back to Kyle Hawthorne whose shot was goal bound only for Ryan Damms to be unable to get out of the way and block the shot with a handball on the goal line.

Nostell were under constant pressure and the first caution came when the hosts were looking to bare down on goal again, Simon Barraclough crudely hacked down by Josh Hope but the free kick came to nothing A rare Nosell attack was broken up and Staveley immediately went on the attack with Kyle Hawthorne giving youngster Danny Simpson a torrid time at right back but the two ensuing Staveley corners came to nothing. More good inter play allowed Scott Ellis time to put an effort in on goal but Gavin Ansley went down to his left to collect.

More tantalising play by Kyle Hawtorne opened up the Nostell defence and when they tried to clear the lines Simon Barraclough collected the wasteful ball and sent a superb right foot curling shot inches wide this time with Gavin Ansley well beaten. Time after time Staveley were getting on to the Nostell back line. Some great intricate play put in Kyke Hawthorne again but his pull back went begging and then a superb move saw Scott Ellis put in one on one against Gavin Ansley but he thwarted him with a blocked save and Nostell tried to clear the ball but Andrew Fox collected and feinted to go one with a neat back heel to Jordan Eagers who went for a one two with Simon Barraclough who played it through where Ryan Damms nipped in and dinked the ball over the keeper for a deft and well taken goal to give Staveley the lead.

Staveley adopting a back three were giving space to Nostell but apart from a 30-yard long range effort the visitors were finding it tough going to make an offensive dent in the Staveley defence. Staveley’s appeals for penalty were rightly refused by the referee as Kyle Hawthorne was upended just outside the 18-yard area. Scott Ellis played a good ball over the top for Jordan Eagers to go through but Gavin Ansley came out well to deny the Staveley midfielder increasing their lead. Nostell had started to show a few signs of not being overawed thanks mainly to their goalkeeper and with just the one goal to show for a huge slice of possession, the game was still alive. Greg McGrory made a superb run from back to front and Jordan Eagers picked out the defender beating the off side line he tried to chip the keeper but once again Nostell’s man of the match stopped Staveley increasing their lead. Nostell’s only real chance came on 40 minutes, a long stooping free kick into the Staveley area where Darren Rushton’s collecting the loose ball saw his effort go narrowly wide. The referee blew for half time but despite the massive superiority of possession, Staveley were just the one goal up and the game could still be in Nostell’s grasps.

That was the case and Nostell had a chance to level the score line when a defensive mix up gave them the chance with Rob Poulter out of his goal after an attempted clearance outside the area but Nostell didn’t take that chance, something a minute later they would rue. After Staveley applied the pressure with two successive corners and from a defensive throw-in Staveley gathered the ball with Simon Barraclough playing the ball along the line to Ryan Damms who feinted left going right and being up ended by Danny Simpson for a clear penalty from which Ryan Damms scored his second goal of the match.

Grant O’Gara found the referee’s displeasure with a scything tackle on Scott Ellis and he was cautioned. Kyle Hawthorne continued his torment of the Nostell defence winning Staveley’s umpteen corner. Staveley’s third goal was pure class. Rob Poulter came out to head the ball to Richard Patterson passing the ball to Scott Ellis and taking the return he overlapped down the right playing the ball in field to Jordan Eagers some 30 yards from goal who turned in space drawing the Nostell defenders to him he played a square ball to Simon Barraclough taking the sting out of the ball he was one on with the keeper and the Staveley striker waited for the keeper to dive outwards he craftily lofted the ball above him and then on the volley tapped the ball home for the most nonchalant of strikes you could ever witness, skill at its best.

At 3-0 you may have expected Staveley not to press the ball or work hard, not always renowned for that particular part of the game well today they did exactly that and the work rate was superb off the ball. Rob Poulter reacting quickly from a forced error threw the ball out to Kyle Hawthorne. He advanced into the opposition half and seeing Simon Barraclough out wide he played a pass out and the Staveley striker returned a peach of a pass with the outside of his right foot down the line where Kyle Hawthorne breezed past the defender into the area and responded to Ryan Damms’s cries of “one more” passing the ball square where the Staveley centre forward completed his hat trick and make the score line 4-0. It was now just attack after attack but credit to Nostell they did not capitulate and certainly their keeper didn’t managing to deny Simon Barraclough with a breath taking stop. There was a half chance for Nostell when a deflected looping cross went over Rob Poulter but new signing and substitute Dwayne Wiley who had come on for Richard Patterson headed the ball off the line.

Staveley made two further substitutions Ryan Damms and Scott Ellis making way for Aaron Moxam and Alex Torr. Jordan Eagers went close with a left foot shot as Staveley were coasting and Nostell had just about run themselves into the ground having to work so hard off the ball to try and stem the Staveley attacking flare. Aaron Moxam did get the ball in the net but he was flagged off side after some good work by Alex Torr. The Staveley substitute then had a chance to finish off a superb move but he failed to convert and then a great ball over by Simon Barraclough put in Alex Torr but the keeper again stopped the score line being an embarrassment. The game was now closing in with a 4-0 score line looking as if it probably should have been double that with the numerous chances created through the 90 minutes. Nostell never let their heads drop against a Staveley side playing some of its best football this season thus far.